Wednesday 22 November 2017

A Brief Guide As To What To Expect

As the New Kingdoms campaign has evolved over the last three decades, there have been a number of changes: the greatest was the shift from RM 2nd edition to RMFRP. When this occurred in our group, we switched over, root and branch – although I was sad to see the end of 2nd edition. I then ported over much of what I did not wish to lose from 2nd edition and spent plenty of time on conversions – professions, races, spell lists and optional rules. Now, with the new Rolemaster looming, my group has moved again, using the Beta playtest rules: you can register as a member and download copies of these at the ICE forums.

I’m left, therefore, with a huge body of work that – once again – is a bit obsolete. In some sense much of the current material for this blog is a legacy project, and when the new rules are released, will be superseded and updated, but the themes will remain the same: bringing the system into harmony with the setting, and vice versa. I stress however, that where setting conflicts with system, it is the system that I modify wherever possible. I’m happy doing a certain amount of violence to the rules in order that the New Kingdoms remain as originally conceived.

So you’ll see references to spell lists, optional rules and professions that don’t exist in RMFRP. I’ll post the profession conversions from time to time, but due to IP considerations, I won’t be able to reproduce the spell lists. I will always, however, reference the source. For instance, I retained the elements from the 2nd edition Elemental Companion and some of the professions and lists. Here and there among the talents and race/culture guides those lists will be mentioned, but you’ll need to track the source down, if you don’t already have it. Where feasible, I’ll offer RMFRP alternatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wolves of War: The Ulfarga for Blood & Treasure (& RMFRP)

  Ulfarga (Lupine Beastkin) Wild-hearted but honourable wolf-like humanoids, Ulfarga represent one of the largest populations of any Beastki...